September 27, 2014

Skincare || Sunscreen 101

Assalamualaikum.

Hello there!

You would probably know what I wanted to review based on the title. So, I am gonna talk about sun screen or some might call it sun block. I am applying sunscreen as day routine for almost a year now. And I do have my favourite sunscreen. *of course*. I will be telling you guys all about this amazing product. And sunscreen will help you to prevent wrinkles and ageing skin.




Image by Mr. Google


First thing first, Why do you need sunscreen as your daily skincare?


This days, our skin is exposed to direct sun as the ozone layer is thinning. The sun have two types of ray which are UVA - Ultra Violet Alpha ray and UVB - Ultra Violet Beta ray. 



What do UVA and UVB do to our skin??


UVA will penetrate deep into the skin although you stay in your house because it can pass through everything including walls and windows. *that is scary!* UVA will activate a type of hormone that will cause skin cancer. You can only get the effect after 20 - 30 years from now. *that is scarier!!* 


Whereas UVB will cause you getting sunburn, redness, or even darkening. *depends on your skin type*.


Here is a simple diagram for you to understand better. *please ignore my ugly sketching. I do not know how to draw. -,- *











How to choose the ideal sunscreen??


There are three factors that you have to consider before you buy a sunscreen. Let me guide you through it.



a) SPF


Here is the thing, SPF will only protect you with UVB rays. It will help you to not get sunburn and redness.


How to do choose which SPF suits you?


1 SPF = 10 minutes of protection from the rays


this means that you have to re-apply your sunscreen every 10 minutes. I know we are all lazy in reapplying anything on our face except make-up. HAHA


so, 15 SPF = 150 minutes / 2 hours and 30 minutes of protection

30 SPF = 300 minutes o/ 5 hours of protection


and, 60 SPF = 600 minutes / 10 hours of protection


Thus, calculate your estimate hours of exposing your skin to the sun babe!




b) Broad-spectrum


Broad-spectrum is basically a sunscreen that protects both UVA and UVB. Some sunscreen write 'Broad-spectrum' on the packaging and some writes 'protection from UVA and UVB'. Some others only protects your skin from UVB.


Hence, you might want to look at the descriptions on the box and read carefully. You do want a full protection from the rays right?




c) PA


PA gives you protections from UVA ray. *the one that will cause you skin cancer*


How do you define the PA system?


PA + = the lowest protection

PA++ = the medium protection
PA+++ = The highest protection

Did you know that there are 2 types of sunscreen? We have chemical sunscreen and physical sunscreen. Chemical sunscreen will absorb the rays *act like a sponge* while physical sunscreen will reflect / block the rays.




These are the common ingredients in the sunscreen:


Physical sunscreen - titanium dioxide, zinc oxide. ( Physical sunscreen will leave you a white cast and normally only protect UVB. Nomally physical sunscreen have a creamy texture)


Chemical sunscreen - octylcylene, avobenzone, octinonate, octisalate, oxybenzone, homosalate, helioplex, 4-MBC, mexoryl SX & XL, tinosorb S & M, uvinul T - 150, uvinul A plus. ( Chemical sunscreen blend in your skin. It is great to be apply on face and normally have a watery texture)




In a nutshell, I would say the fairer your skin tone / the easier you get burn, 

the higher SPF and PA you need.



Thanks for reading.

Good luck.




Find me on Instagram @alyarazali


4 comments:

Ailany Zabidin | Urban Hippie KL said...

Hi babe, I found your post through the butterfly community. I read this post and I loved it! Quick question how do I sign up for your blog? I can't find the sign up button, thanks!!! xx
love, lany
urbanhippiekl.blogspot.com

alyarazali said...

Thank you for reading. *I'm blushed*

You can do it manually by copying my blog url and paste it on your follow blog section.

I still unable to insert widget for the sign up thingy. My blogger seems to have problems with it :(

Mieza Everdeen said...

Hi Alya, thanks for sharing about sunscreen 101, I'm truly amazed by your effort making the sketches, that definitely shows the quality of a good teacher in you ^_^ on a separate note, if you have any problems regarding blogspot design, please dont hesitate to ask me ya? I have faced a lot of blogspot problems since I started blogging in 2007 and I can say that I managed to solve most of it :) I am here to help if you are in need, just email me at trisy7@gmail.com ya! take care!

alyarazali said...

Awwwhhhh. Thank you very much for the offer Mieza. I will email you some day soon, Insha Allah. :) I hve a lot of assignmnts to do now.